Can I Modify My Child Custody Order?

Most court orders are permanent.  If you were to be sued for some harm you caused to another person or their property or if you are involved in some property division in your divorce case, your court order would be permanent.  That means, no matter what happens down the road, no matter what change of circumstances the order will not be changed.

Family court orders dealing with children are different.  The aspects of  a family court order in South Carolina that deal with children such as custody, child support and visitation can be altered and modified after the order has been entered.  In order to modify your child custody, visitation  or support order you must file a new action and request that the previous order be modified due to a substantial change in circumstances.  So, if the circumstances surround custody, visitation or support have not changed since your decree was entered, then you cannot seek to have the order modified.


  1. WOW just what I was searching for. Came here by searching for dietary

  2. Anonymous says:

    If I cannot afford an attorney, nor afford to file a new action what else can I file for substantial change?

  3. It’s remarkable to pay a quick visit this web page and reading the views
    of all mates regarding this piece of writing, while I am
    also eager of getting experience.

  4. I got what you intend,saved to favorites, very decent website.

Speak Your Mind