Legal Name Change in South Carolina

namechangeinscSo you are wanting to change your name and you want to know how to change your name or what to expect if you are meeting with an attorney about legally changing your name.  Well, here are the steps that will be required when you want to change your name in South Carolina. Legal name changes are governed by South Carolina Code Section 15-49-10.

Before a name change petition can be filed with the Family Court, you must take care of some administrative things.  First you have to request a name change kit from the State Law Enforcement Division (SLED).  This kit will include information on ordering a background check and a fingerprint card.  You should go to a local law enforcement office to get fingerprinted.  That fingerprint card should be sent in with the background check form along with a check for $25.00.  A few days later you will receive a copy of the background check from SLED.

You must also obtain a screening statement from the Department of Social Services stating that you are not on any child abuse or neglect registries.  There is an $8.00 charge for this statement.  You will need to fill out a form and mail the form and payment in and several days later you will receive that report.

You should also get verification that you are not on the State Sexual Offender Registry.

After that, you or your attorney will file a petition for name change with the Family Court asking for the legal name change.  From there you will most likely have a hearing where you have to testify before the judge about the reason you are seeking a name change.  The statute does not say that a hearing is absolutely required, so to me that leaves it up to the discretion of the judge.  I have seen it go both ways, where a judge signs a name change order without a hearing and other times where the judge requires a hearing.

Are you interested in handling a name change on your own?


We have prepared a step-by-step system that holds your hand and walks you through the entire adult name change process in South Carolina.

All you have to do is download the form, filling in the simple form and all of the documents you need to request your name change will be created for you instantly.

This system:

  1. provides you all of the background check forms, name change petition, and the name change order.
  2. gives you helpful checklists to make sure each step is completed properly.
  3. the exact testimony you will need to give before the family court judge so you can get your name changed successfully.

All you have to do is follow some simple instructions.


Here are the answers to the most common questions about the name change system:

Q: How much will this cost?
The Name Change System  is priced in such a way that nearly anyone can participate. For $247 $147 you get instant access to everything you need to change your name in South Carolina.

This does not include the court costs and background check fees.  The family court charges a $150.00 filing fee, SLED charges $25.00 for a background check fee, and DSS charges $8.00 for the registry check.  So, in addition the the $147.00 cost for the Name Change System, you will have additional costs in the amount of $183.  Compare that to the cost of hiring a lawyer for your name change.

Q: Am I hiring a lawyer?
No.  You are simply purchasing a product.  By purchasing this Name Change System you are not creating an attorney-client relationship with the Atkins Law Firm, P.A., V. B. Atkins III, Attorney at Law, or any other lawyer.

Q: Who is this for?
This system will help an adult in South Carolina prepare and file their name change petition, walk them through the process, provide a script to use during the hearing, and an order for the family court judge to sign granting the name change.

Not everyone will qualify for a name change, however.  If you have been convicted of a crime, served time in the department of corrections, have been investigated by the Department of Social Services, are a registered sex offender, or you are listed on any child abuse or neglect registry you may not qualify for a name change in South Carolina.  If you have questions about your eligibility, you may contact us using the simple form on our connect page.

This is not the proper document if you are trying to change the name of a minor child.  You will need to contact a lawyer for a minor name change.

Q: How long do I have access to the materials?
Forever. After your purchase you will be able to immediately download everything you need.

Q: How does it work?
You will receive access to a PDF document so you will need Adobe Reader or some other PDF software.  You will enter the requested information into a simple one-page form and it will populate all of the forms and documents you need.

Q. How is everything delivered to me?
By download to your computer.  As soon as you successfully complete the credit card transaction you will be directed to a download page where you can download the SC Adult Name Change System.

Q. What if I decide this isn’t for me and want a refund?
Because this system is delivered electronically and immediately there are no refunds.



  1. mike wilson says:

    I am married with three biological children but we didnt get married until my wife was 7 months pregnant with our second child. She opted to keep her maiden name and i was going to change mine (because im named after my father whom i despise). Well all three girls have moms last name and i still have mine after 10 years of marriage. i want to have matching names. can i change just my last name and how much will it cost me. where do i apply? thanks in advance for any help.

  2. whoah this weblog is great i love reading your articles. Stay
    up the good work! You already know, lots of persons are looking around for this information, you can aid them

  3. Very nice post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to
    mention that I have really loved surfing around your weblog posts.
    After all I will be subscribing in your feed and I hope you write
    again very soon!

  4. Howdy! I could have sworn I’ve visited this web site
    before but after looking at some of the articles I realized it’s
    new to me. Anyways, I’m definitely delighted I discovered it and I’ll be book-marking it and checking back often!

  5. First of all I want to say excellent blog! I had a quick question in which I’d like to ask if you don’t mind.
    I was interested to find out how you center yourself and clear
    your thoughts prior to writing. I have had a tough time clearing my mind in getting
    my thoughts out there. I truly do take pleasure in writing however it just seems like the
    first 10 to 15 minutes are wasted just trying to figure out
    how to begin. Any recommendations or tips? Thanks!

  6. Heya just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of the images aren’t loading
    properly. I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue.

    I’ve tried it in two different browsers and both show the same results.

  7. Hello, yeah this post is in fact fastidious and
    I have learned lot of things from it on the topic of blogging.

  8. I think the admin of this site is genuinely working hard in favor
    of his web site, since here every stuff is quality based stuff.

  9. These days within the planet of celebration and fun the Hookahs incorporate become Really renowned. Anywhere your self move yourself can watch a parlor of Bongs. Yet they are not just used for eating exciting in just some locations Cigarette smoking Pipes are way too made use of towards make a person healthful and extensively healthy once again.

  10. Today within just the planet of occasion and entertaining the Hookahs consist of turn into very well-known. Any where your self go you can view a parlor of Bongs. Yet they are not merely utilized for consuming fun inside of some sites Using tobacco Pipes are furthermore utilised toward generate a person healthy and thoroughly fit yet again.

  11. Currently inside the planet of social gathering and fun the Hookahs have grow to be extremely well-known. Anywhere on your own move your self can perspective a parlor of Bongs. However they are not simply just made use of for ingesting enjoyment in some areas Smoking Pipes are additionally employed in the direction of generate a specific balanced and totally suit back again.

  12. Currently inside of the earth of celebration and exciting the Hookahs contain become Really famed. Any where oneself transfer oneself can check out a parlor of Bongs. Yet they are not only utilized for using enjoyable in some areas Smoking Pipes are far too used in direction of generate a particular person healthier and comprehensively healthy all over again.

  13. Currently in just the earth of occasion and fun the Hookahs comprise develop into Pretty well known. Any where your self go oneself can see a parlor of Bongs. However they are not basically used for taking in entertaining inside some puts Using tobacco Pipes are far too applied towards deliver a person balanced and thoroughly fit yet again.

  14. 精准医疗又叫个性化医疗,是指以个人基因组信息为基础,结合蛋白质组,代谢组等相关内环境信息,为病人量身设计出最佳治疗方案,以期达到治疗效果最大化和副作用最小化的一门定制医疗模式。因此相较传统医疗,精准医疗具有针对性、高效性及预防性等特征。





    精准医疗要做到个性、高效及预防的关键在于筛查和诊断,因此基因测序等检测诊断技术的发展是关键。成本的下降让基因测序商业化市场的打开成为可能,基因测序技术的成熟和商用经过了多年的发展,1980 年自动测序仪出现,2001 年完成了人类基因组框架图标志着这一技术的成熟,2007 年二代基因测序技术大幅降低测序成本,使得这一技术应用出现可能,以走在前列的Illumina 公司为例,该公司自2007 年起把当时每个基因组的测序成本费用从1000万美元降到了当下的1000 美元, 根据Illumina 公司数据,全球NGS(二代基因测序)的应用市场规模预计为200 亿美元,药品研发和临床应用是增速最快的领域,增速超过15%,肿瘤诊断和个性化用药是最有应用前景的领域,市场规模120亿美元。乐土投资与Illumina以及新一代的基因检测公司Genalyte, Centrillion都有着合作关系。


    全球创新论坛纽约峰会由全美华人金融协会(The Chinese Finance Association, TCFA) 主办。全美华人金融协会于一九九四年在美国成立。分布在世界各地的会员来自华尔街投行、基金、监管部门、和学术界,已成为联系中美金融界最重要的桥梁之一。协会定期举行学术年会。协会本部设在纽约,并在波士顿,华盛顿,旧金山,伦敦,香港,北京和上海等金融中心设有分会。


  15. Why viewers still use to read news papers when in this technological world everything is available on net?

  16. Autumn staley says:

    I got married in May and kept my last name for my kids. I now want to hyphenate my last name. Do I need to go thru the whole name change process?

  17. I used to be suggested this web site by way of
    my cousin. I’m no longer certain whether this put up is written by him as
    nobody elsse recognize such particular about mmy problem.
    You’re amazing! Thanks!

  18. GregoryEneby says:

    About this question are actually responded a lot of times.
    Be mindful and do not flood
    here is the web page link

  19. It’s in fact very complex in this full of activity life to listen news on TV, therefore I
    just use world wide web for that reason, and obtain the most recent information.

  20. If some one wishes expert view concerning blogging then i
    recommend him/her to visit this blog, Keep
    up the nice work.

  21. Tһis iѕ a topic that’s close to my hеart… Take care! Where are your
    contact details thougһ?

  22. If you need an attorney in South Carolina Contact us.


  1. […] Click on this link to go to just ONE resource for changing your name – NAMECHANGELAW.COM Another resource is the Upstate Family Law Blog. […]

Speak Your Mind